Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Expanding my horizons.

I am. I am expanding my horizons. I saw an ad in the local Community Events Magazine showcasing all the different classes a person can take in this great city I live in. It was for Belly Dancing. Now, to be honest, I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm not sure where the nugget of wanting came from...but none the less it was there. I asked one of my friends if she would like to go with me as it seems like something fun, we'll get some exercise, learn some dance moves, and it was relatively inexpensive. Just over 10.00 per lesson, and the lessons go for 7 weeks.

Well our first class was on Tuesday. I was a little hesitant as we made our way into the community centre's aerobics room, where there were quite a few little slip sized ladies. Honestly, I probably make a good two to three of them. I just do. I was very self conscious at first, looking in the mirror, looking at our instructor, I wondered what it was I had gotten myself into. I have to tell you though, once the instructor started the music and started showing us our first move. I forgot all about being the biggest one in the room and just thought about having fun, and concentrating on making my muscles do what I now have to train them to do.

It was a lot of fun. I learned three moves, plus I learned about my posture for this dance, and the proper way to hold my arms. I can tell you, by the end of the hour, my arms were killing me!

They were so sore from being held up at a certain angle and certain position for so long. As well, by the time we got home, my legs were burning and my sides were sore. I may not have worked my heart up into a "Cardio" zone but I'll tell you this much. I worked up a sweat and used muscles that I didn't even know i had.

By the time I went to bed, I was whimpering, my arms were sore, my sides were sore, my hips were sore. I was a mess! When I got up this morning, I ached from head to toe. I tell you. I worked hard in that hour last night and I'm still felling it today.

I did do my ten minutes of practicing my three moves and I am again a little sore in the mid section. I guess it's from making those lower abs work! Belly dancing is better for your abs then a hundred crunches a day! I'm not kidding! It was a great work out and I'm honestly looking forward to next week's class.

I didn't make it to the gym tonight as I was at an evening training session but I'll be back at the gym tomorrow and Friday. I have weigh in coming up in just over 48 hours and I really do want this week to count!

Without further ado...here's my activity accountability chart for Tuesday.

Date Jan 12
Exercise Belly Dancing Class
Duration 1hr 7 min 52 sec
Time in zone 7 min 89 sec
Avg Heart rate 90PBM
Max heart rate 175BPM
Calories burned 428

No comments:

Post a Comment